How To Relieve Homesickness

Thursday




It happens to the best of us, and at the best of times. 

You're finally embracing your inner wanderlust explorer. 

Then the dark shades of blue lingers into your mind.

You feel alien to your new surroundings. 

It doesn't feel like home, could you ever call this place home?

You see what your friends are doing throughout social media. Having fun - you're missing out.

You make plans to see them when you're back. But those weeks ahead feel like years. 

You begin to compare about what is so good at home and what is awfully dreadful here. 

That dream of coming back home gives you butterflies. 

Homesickness is the worst.

***

It's not that you hate the place you are in, it's the fact that home is home - and you aren't there right now.

It's a ok to have this feeling, it's ok to experience every kind of emotion once in a while. It's a human thing and a reflection of life.

I have a few tips that has helped me. 

1. APPRECIATE AND REMEMBER

"How lucky am I to have something so special that makes saying goodbye so hard."

Be thankful that your home or your hometown is a beautiful place. Many people don't miss home because they have a terrible life - bad memories, no family or friends, or it's in bad conditions.

Appreciate that you have an actual existing 'happy place', and you are able to wake up in that 'happy place' every morning. 

Bare in mind, you will go back home. You will.

2. TAKE A WALK

I'm not announcing that you should put your walking shoes on and take a hike. Go on a walk, and walk to a place that you don't have in your hometown. 

For instance, here in Malta I'm always next to the ocean. But in London, the grey Thames is all I have. When I feel homesick I take a walk by Sliema and view the waterfront. 

Telling myself that one day I'll miss this, so I capture the beauty. 

3. GET OFF SOCIAL MEDIA

Stop comparing your lives with others. And to be honest your friends are only showing the fun things that they are up to. 

Instead of lurking, talk to your friends.

Because sometimes they may be feeling as low as you, but portray to others that life fun.

Pick up the phone and call a friend or family member. The more you do it, the more you will feel like you're at home because you've got all news and you're actually not missing out. 


4. MEET NEW PEOPLE/ HANG OUT WITH FRIENDS

There's nothing better than forgetting your woes by replacing it with great and interesting conversations. 

Netflix is not your best friend, save that for a rainy day!

You could even talk to people about your issues, because it's very likely that they feel the same.

5. GET OUT OF THOSE PJS!

OK, I'm a big culprit of staying in my house-clothes for the whole day. But as soon as you get up, showered, dressed, and even put on some make-up - you end up feeling more ready to get up and do something exciting. 

All dressed and no where to go? 

There's lots of places to go to - so explore!

6. MEDITATE

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

I can't express how much clearing your mind feels your emotions so effectively.


2 comments:

  1. Loved this post! Especially 'appreciate and remember'. I recently just moved to NYC from Northern California and I've found myself totally comparing the two and I really shouldn't. Thank you!!

    http://www.breakfastatvogueblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being homesick is hard. Whenever I was homesick, I took long walks and did some relaxing stuff. These always help me to feel better. Great post!

    www.elabellaworld.com

    ReplyDelete