Slovenia Travel Guide / Day One

Monday

It hasn't been the best for the UK. After Saturday's terror, I hate to say, it's been on my mind. It's awful when evil overshadows our happiness. I honestly think the best thing we can do is show how we will remain as a strong community. A community that can tackle anything thrown at us.

Love over hate. 

******

These past two weeks have felt kinda strange. I'm now back at home, in London, after spending my past four years at university. It didn't take me long to get comfortable, but it's taken me a while to sort out a schedule and get organised. There's tons of things I need to get sorted. But my house is so cosy. I'd rather spend my days in my dressing gown watching my beloved Sky TV. Anyho, I've been meaning to blog more but I've been restlessly catching up with family and friends.

I've got my planner out now, so hopefully you'll be seeing some more regular posts.

But it's not just my laziness that has prevented me from publishing more.

Has anyone delayed a blog post because they really don't want it to suck? Have you taken pictures but are reluctant to share it because it doesn't show the true beauty? Have you ever tried to sum up an experience in a sentence but couldn't find the right words?

Nearly a month ago I took a short trip to Slovenia. Three jam packed days of sightseeing this incredible and underrated country. 

"Where the heck is Slovenia?" Was the usual response when I spoke about my travels. Sitting comfortable adjacent to Italy, Austria, Croatia and Hungary - Slovenia is a collage of different European landscapes.

I hope my next descriptions can create a charming picture of this gorgeous country. My ultimate goal is for you to add Slovenia to your travel wish list. There are so many places to travel to in Europe, and unfortunately, we predominately explore the hotspots. It was so refreshing to walk into the centre of the capital city and not be bombarded with selfie-taking, slow-walking tourists. It's pretty exciting to be one of the firsts out of your friends to visit an uncommon destination. 

I have three posts sharing my time spent here. It will include Slovenia travel tips and places you must check out. There are tonnes of Slovenia attractions for whatever type of traveller you are. 

Firstly, I'll begin with day one.

We arrived in Slovenia late in the evening. We took a taxi to our Airbnb apartment, right in the centre of Ljubljana, the capital city. In our new home, we stood on the balcony, seeing a glimpse of the Ljubljana Castle nestled on top of a hill. 

In the morning we took the cobbled, narrow and steep streets to arrive at the Ljubljana Castle. If you're a castle lover, and a fan of medieval architecture, Slovenia is your country! 

Ljubljana Castle is now the home of museums sharing the country's past and present events. I learnt about their involvement in the Yugoslavian War, life in the feudal era and their love for puppets. You can spend hours roaming around the watchtowers and stunning churches in the castle. 

We took a cable car from the castle down to the city centre. I don't know if I have stressed this enough, but the castle sits on such an elevated hill that you can see the majority of the city down below. Standing in the castle and looking over Ljubljana was breath-taking.

Down in Ljubljana city centre, we landed right in the market. Slovenia is known for their love of organic and seasonal fruit and veg. 

We had lunch and an obligatory ice cream. Tasted just like Rome's ice cream. We walked around the centre which wasn't too big to explore. I've never been to a country that loves pink as much as I do. Their most popular buildings were covered in my favourite rosy shades. Simply the Ljubljana architecture was alluring and captivating. Some moments I felt like I was in Stockholm, Rome, Vienna or Paris. 

This may have been the calmest day, as we just wanted to take in Slovenia and all its beauty. Have a scroll and gaze at the city's beauty.


Follow me on Twitter to find out the next post of my second day in Slovenia!





































No comments:

Post a Comment